Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm Not Sorry - Creative Nonfiction

I have been writing a lot for one of my classes, Creative Nonfiction. I have also been forced to share it with classmates and read to a large group of people at Marylhurst University, alongside my fellow CCC peers. So, now I share piece one of three that I shared at the reading.

PS. Thanks mom for going, it was something new for both of us. And thank you David, for always doing your best and taking me away from the story below. I love you both.

Prompt for this piece: Start with the phrase "I'm sorry" and go from there...

I'm Not Sorry
I’m sorry, for not listening, but not really right now. I’m sorry for then. That time your screams were silent, a body detached. You put up with him, every piece of him. Good days, bad days, those roller coaster days when tears were the only defense you had even during a good moment because he was so happy then angry then pleased then mad. I’m sorry that your well being came second to the terrible everything. I made you blind, unwilling to accept the truth that gripped my chest so fiercely it took away my air. I’m sorry for forcing your lips to tell lies...
...I’m fine, yes everything’s okay. We’re doing really good!

I’m not sorry for asking you to walk away. For pleading with you to run after I diminished all your strength. I will never tell lies again, so there are some things I will not say I’m sorry for.

No comments:

Post a Comment